Phone Number  

Borrower & Buyer Services

Frequently Asked Questions

I have received a letter from my lender advising me that your office will be handling my closing. What do I need to do?

First, please make sure you contact us to discuss your closing and the information we will need from you. You will find a form under Buyer/Borrower Services that will allow you to provide the information necessary for us to complete your closing. Also, please read the section entitled The Closing Process to get a better idea of what's ahead.

I'm purchasing a home and I don't have my own attorney, do I need one or will your firm watch out for my interests at closing?

If we have advised you that we have been retained by your new mortgage lender to conduct the closing of your real estate transaction and mortgage then we do not represent you. However, you may retain our services to represent your interests at the closing. Please read the section entitled Representing The Interests of the Homebuyer for more details about this service.

Can you explain the closing process and the functions that your office performs as closing attorney?

We will handle all of the major tasks in closing your purchase and mortgage or refinance mortgage transaction. See the section entitled The Closing Process for more information.

I'm selling my property - do I need a real estate broker?

Unless you are familiar with the process of selling real estate and have the time and energy to advertise and show your property to a number of prospective buyers we recommend that you engage the services of a good real estate broker in your city or town. If you fee confident that you can handle these tasks yourself our office can work with you to prepare the legal documents and provide the legal advice necessary in such a transaction.

Borrower & Buyer Services:

Frequently Asked Questions

The Closing Process: An Explanation

What is Title Insurance?

How Our Firm Can Represent Your Interests at the Closing

HUD Information on Buying a Home

HUD Information on the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)

Seller Services:

Closing Information That We Require to Process Your Transaction

Important Information Regarding the Sale of Your Home

Representing Your Interests as Seller

  Latest News Maps and Directions Contact Us


Most people's biggest investment is their home and who would want to lose that investment to payoff a credit card or lawsuit? Massachusetts law offers substantial protection to homeowners from having their principal residence sold to pay unsecured debts such as credit cards and lawsuits and it is called the Massachusetts Homestead Act.

Up to $125,000 of a homeowner's equity is automatically protected by the law. However savvy homeowners can increase that protection to up to $500,000 in equity by filing a Declaration of Homestead with the Registry of Deeds. Is your home protected? Have you filed a homestead? You can check with the Registry of Deeds for the county where your home is located. You can also email emccaffery@mccafflaw.com or call our office at no charge 978-667-4877 if you would like to find out.

330 Boston Rd. Suite 2,
North Billerica, MA 01862

Get Directions>>